[JP; 2016] Solo Series | Pre-departure Check-list

I hope this pre-departure check-list will be useful to first-time travelers (whether you are solo or group) to Japan.

Things to get before flying off to Japan:
1. SIM Card
2. JR Pass
3. Train / Subway APP
4. Translation APP

Preview of the my trip:
I went Shin-Fuji, Osaka, Kyoto, Arashiyama, Nara, Tokyo and Katsuta!

1. SIM CARD

It is pricey to get SIM Card from Japan, so according to all my sources, everyone told me to get a SIM Card before flying off.

I bought my SIM Card from this Qoo10 buyer around 1 week before I fly off.
Aquanix, http://list.qoo10.sg/item/JAPAN-PREPAID-DATA-SIM-CARD-8-AND-15-DAYS-SIM-CARDS-NTT-DOCOMO/451494825
8 Days 4g/3g SIM CARD - $32.50 + $1.70 (SingPost A.M. Mail)
There are lots of sellers in Qoo10 selling Japan SIM Card, and I eventually chose this store because it's delivery seems to be faster. SingPost A.M. Mail was really efficient that I received the SIM Card the next morning in my mailbox. And you know... Qoo10 always give out discount coupons, so the SIM Card was only $30.70 instead of $34.20 hah.

The seller was rather nice, cause I am using Dual SIM Phone, so there are abit of hiccups while connecting to the network, when I contacted him/her through whatsapp, him/her was patient to spot any possible mistakes I made.

The network was great too, fast and no hassle.

But if you want cheap Japan SIM Card, I would say go Taobao, they are selling SIM Card even cheaper. (If I am not in press on time, I would have tried Taobao)

2. JR Pass

As I am going a few cities, JR Pass was necessary for me, and JR Pass could only be purchased outside of Japan. You can find the list of Authorized Japan Rail Pass sales agents in Singapore on http://www.jnto.org.sg/japan_rail_pass_singapore.html.

To be honest, there is no cheapest JR Pass sales agent, it is all a game of luck. Why do I say so? Because it is all depends on the exchange rate.

Sales agents fluctuate their prices against the exchange rate either daily, weekly or monthly.

For my case, I bought the JR Pass around a week before I fly off. And it was the week where the exchange rate fluctuated like crazy. Starting of the week Yen weakened and by end of the week Yen strengthened. So I only had the choice to buy from agents that refresh their prices weekly or monthly. After much comparison, I chose to buy with NTA.
NTA, http://nta.sg/ntasin/
7 Days Original JR Pass - $354 + Free TA-Q-BIN delivery
Actually their office is really close to my office, but I still insisted to opt for delivery cause I need to secure the online price. As the next day is the first working day of the week and the price will bound to increase by another $10 for sure.

It was really easy to order online, I filled up an application form that did not take me 10mins, the customer service called me the next working day to confirm the details I filled up, and the delivery was made within 2-3 working day. And all I have to do is wait and make cash payment to the deliveryman.

Upon arriving the airport, just exchange the ticket with the JR ticket office and thats all.

3. Train / Subway APP

Based on reviews, I downloaded 2 Japan related APP: (1) for JR Trains (2) for Tokyo Subways

(1) for JR Trains

Japan Trains, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bside.extremeambient.net&hl=en
Free! 
Very simple interface, just type in the station you are departing and arriving... with the timing period you want to depart.
And they will be able to you give several timings to consider! You just have to click on the timings you want to know more, eg which station to do the transfers and etc it will be able to show you!

(2) for Tokyo Subway

Tokyo Subway Navigation, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.tokyometro.tokyosubwaynavi&hl=en
Free!
Also another simple interface to use, just type in your departure and arrival station. The best part is, it is able to work offline!
The search result will clearly show you where to transfer and the travel time. Unsure whether it shows the faster routes or what, but at least I did not get lost with their complex subway system with this APP!

And if you click at the circle blue listing button on the right of the station name, it will show you the place of interest around the station with their exits number. Best for impromptu travelers like me who has no itinerary!

4. Translation APP

If you can read and type chinese, this translation "APP" will be for you.
LINE日語翻譯, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.naver.line.android&hl=en
Free!
If you have LINE, you can add this translator as your friend and it will be able to translate whatever you want to express from Chinese-Japanese!

But the cons is, they can not read it out for you. So you have to flash your phone to the Japanese you wish to speak to.

Acknowledgements 

I sincerely thank all my friends, colleagues and even readers giving me so much tips for Japan and reminding me to purchase this and that before I fly off.

As a first-timer to Japan, plus solo, plus no prior knowledge about Japan. I find it so tough to plan this trip's itinerary, so I gave up planning my itinerary beforehand, and just made impromptu decisions for the 9 Days trip.

So do look forward for my solo-impromptu Japan trip blog posts. :)

Comments

Trending Posts