[KR; 2017] Solo Series | Bukchon Hanok Village Tour 북촌한옥마을

Bukchon Hanok Village Tour 북촌한옥마을

As this solo trip I did not opt for a hostel stay, I thought it will be rather boring if I stick to myself for the whole trip. Googled for some half day tours around Seoul and I found this very interesting group - Seoul Mate!

Abit of SEOUL MATE introduction from my own knowledge:
They are an non-profit organisation made up of a group of students from different Universities in Seoul. They offer free English tours in the weekends, thus their "job" is to be the tour guide and bring foreigners around Seoul for a couple of hours, to exchange an opportunity to interact with foreigners in English.

The week I was in Seoul, there were 2 tours; one was some historical tour another was Bukchon Hanok Village Tour. I not someone who really into history, so I rather to join a tour with abit of sightseeing.

I received an email and was told to meet at Anguk Station - Exit 3. They came slightly late with a yellow flag printed "Seoul Mate". They started issuing some name tags and we had some short self-introduction. I thought there will be some solo travelers in the tour, but ended up the other participants were a family of 4.

First Stop, Changdeokgung Palace 창덕궁!


Loved the blue skies with the roof designs.
It was quite a huge area to cover, the university students did a great explanation of the building structures to some korean history. Quite an eyeopener!


Next stop, Choong Ang High School 중앙고등학교!

This high school is a famous filming spot for dramas, the most recent hit drama that filmed over there was The Goblin (the main actress "studied" in this high school in the drama).

Third Stop, Bukchon Hanok Village 북촌한옥마을!

The students were explaining the structure and design of the houses in really fluent English!

Some of the students were afraid that I will get bored because I'm the only solo ranger in the tour... they started using my camera taking really random photos of me while walking along the village. Looking through the photos then I realised, I have been unknowingly putting my hands in the pocket the whole tour! Oops! I guess the taobao jacket's pockets were too comfy.

We get to see the roofs of the house from the top, rather impressive view!

And there were also artworks on the wall made up of shells.

Last stop, early dinner at Insa-dong 인사동.
All the signboards along the streets are in hangul, even Starbucks!

They chose a korean food restaurant that was able to accommodate so many people!
I ordered tofu soup as I wasn't really that hungry. So thankful for the family from USA treating this dinner!

And also appreciate much to those korean university students putting aside some time from their studies to bring us around! It was quite an enjoyable tour and definitely recommend anyone touring Seoul with SEOUL MATE! (:

Comments

Trending Posts