[JP; 2016] Solo Series | DAY 5 - Nara

DAY 5

Hanamikoji Dori 花見小路 > Gion Shijo Station 祗园四条 > Tofukuji Station 東福海 > Nara Station 奈良 > Nara Park 奈良公園 > Sanjo Dori 三條町

1. Hanamikoji Dori 花見小路 > Gion Shijo Station 祗园四条 > Tofukuji Station 東福海 Nara Station 奈良

Wanted to leave the crowded Kyoto City badly, and Nara came across my mind. Super impromptu, I walked over to Gion Shijo Station 祗园四条 from Hanamikoji Dori, and they happen to have a tourist information counter. Got all the train transfer details, and I started my journey to Nara!
So according to instructions:
Gion Shijo - Keihan Electric Railway's Main Line > alight at Tofukuji Station 東福海 and change to JR Nara line > Nara Station

It sounded rather straight forward, as Gion Shijo and Tofukuji are on the Main Line, so I just need to hop onto the train going towards Tofukuji direction, more or less everything will be fine.

To my dismay, NO, it is not as easy as thought so. Keihan Main Line was way complicated then Tokyo Subway Line.

There are 6 different services line for the Main Line - Local, Sub Express, Express, Rapid Express, Limited Express, Rapid Limited Express. To put words simple, Local stops at all stations, the other Expresses stops at selective stations. So all the services are in different colour codes, so you have to check against the train information board which colour code will stop at your destination.

Apparently, I did not forsee myself to be taking the Keihan Railway, no research done beforehand, so I panicked in the station without knowing what is those colour codes about.

I randomly approached a lady, although she dont really understand English, but she got the hint I am heading to Tofukuji Station. She quickly told her daughter to check online which colour code(s) I can take, and even told me the arrival timings. Super super super fortunate to meet such nice Japanese, greatly appreciated.

Dont ask me which colour code did I take, I really can't remember. But the main point was, I successfully reached Tofukuji Station!

Waited for the JR Nara Line train, and headed off to NARA! The ride was FREE with JR pass!

2. Nara Station 奈良 > Nara Park 奈良公園

I dropped by the tourist information center near the station, the guy was really nice to tell me how to get to Nara Park in full details. It was really simple to get to Nara Park from the station, just simply walk straight down will do.

Along the way to Nara Park is the shopping area, so it was rather interesting.


At the end of the shopping district you will definitely see this pond. No doubts, you will be able to sight deers starting from here.

Anyway there was a sad story behind this Sarusawa-ike 猿沢池 pond, you can visit the shrine right opposite for more stories.

So I entered Nara Park through Nanendo 南円堂...

And walked over to Kofuku-ji 興福寺...

Read through the area map...

Wild deers appearing everywhere~~~

According to the tourist information centre, the deers will start to return back to the forestry area before the sunsets. So I am still lucky to have 30mins with them before they officially go home!
But I got ignored. ):


3. Nara Park 奈良公園 > Sanjo Dori 三條町

As the deers gradually return back to the forestry area, I started walking back to the shopping district which I passed by earlier on - Sanjo Dori 三條町.

Lots of souvenirs stall over there, and this traditional snack house caught my attention. It sells alot traditional biscuits which I looted like a big bag out. And I was really cheap and delicious - around 40-50yen per packet.

Too much food over at Nara that I can't make up my mind what to have for dinner. So I just anyhow went in a ramen stall and ate a bowl of ramen. Wouldn't say super nice, but filling enough.

Nara marks my long day running about in Japan!

<< Previous Post: [Solo JP] DAY 5 - Kyoto
>> Next Post: [Solo JP] DAY 6 - Kyoto

Comments

Trending Posts